Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Don't

I try really hard to word things in the positive. For example, instead of saying, "Don't!" When a student looks like he/she is about use his neighbor as target practice for flinging pencils, I try to say, "Use the pencil the way it's suppose to be used, please!" I try to do this not only at work, but throughout the day. But some days my positive phrasing just doesn't happen. Maybe it's because I'm tired, irritable, or just too lazy to think of how to phrase it in the positive. Regardless, on those days I feel like all I say is don't/do not. Do not run in the hall. Do not touch your neighbor. Do not jump out of the swing. Do not go near the mud. Do not mock her. Do not take that. Do not leave that. Do not say that. Do not move. Do not stay. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200... just don't.

1 comment:

brittney perry said...

beautifully said. really.