Thursday, September 17, 2009

Clutterless Closet- How to (Fake) Organize a Closet


I think I'm going to stick to the "How to" theme for a spell.

Confession: I am not an organized person. On top of things- yes. Organized- no. Even as I'm writing this I'm looking at my desk wondering how it got so cluttered. I thought I had sworn when I moved into my new apartment that it would stay clean and clutter-free forever. Oops. That is not to say that I don't know how to organize a bedroom closet. Or at least how to fake an organized bedroom closet. I just usually choose not to do so. Regardless, here are some tricks of the trade:

1. Only have shoes on the floor of your closet- This gives the base of your closet a nice uniform look and a nice clean line. If you have stuff other than shoes on the floor, simply take it and shove it under your bed. You'll get to that another day.

2. Organize your shoes in pairs- if you don't have the space to line them all up side by side then take one from the pair and stick it on top of the other. Don't organize them by style, color, or anything else like that. No one cares what you consider a dress shoe vs. what you consider a day shoe.

3. For the rest of your clothes, clump items following this simple pattern (from right to left): tank-tops/sleeveless shirts, short sleeved shirts, long sleeved shirts, sweaters, skirts, dresses, jackets. If you really want to get ambitious (go beyond faking organization to actually being organized) then color code within each category. I don't recommend this too highly because where do you stick the black and white striped shirt? With the blacks? With the whites? What about the brown, orange, and purple striped shirt? Actually, if you have a shirt like that, do yourself a favor and just throw it out.

4. Fold hoodies and stack them on the top shelf- anything on the top shelf that isn't clothes, also shove under the bed. Don't worry if you feel that you are simply moving the problem from one spot to another. 1. If it's under your bed, chances are neither you nor anyone else can see it. Thus, still giving the illusion that you are organized. 2. The stuff you are moving probably isn't all that important. If it was, it would have its own spot anyway.

And you're done! Follow steps 1-4 and your closet will be (fake) organized in no time!

No comments: